Sunday, November 23, 2008

Scrumptious Snickerdoodles

I used to love making (and eating) Snickerdoodle cookies when I was a kid. I was craving some yesterday and remembered that I had a recipe from the famous Magnolia Bakery in New York City that I hadn't tried yet. I made them and they turned out delicious (better than I remembered); so good, in fact, that I wanted to share the recipe...

Snickerdoodles
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons cinnamon, for sprinkling
In a small bowl, combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla, and beat well. Add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Wrap the dough tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Sprinkle generously with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.

No comments: